The Crew

The Crew

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Quito still uping the ante

So these past few days have been absolutely wonderful, I have really fallen in love with the city and the culture. Everywhere you go you see people who truly love their city and their country. Here is an example of the how patriotic Ecuadorians are. The other night when we were in old town ending our night with a local drink (a warm fruit drink with an alcohol that I cannot think of at the moment). While anyways when we were in this little cafe there was maybe 6 tables and we occupied two of them. The locals were singing and dancing and we were all having a great time. The proceeded to sing us their national anthem and you could hear the patriotism in their voice. Think when team Canada winning gold medals in Vancouver, like that but every time. That is the major thing I have notice so far is that here a special event is not needed in order to exhibit your patriotism and passion but rather you are an outcast if you don't. It is really a wonderful thing to see because in Canada it is rare that I feel like singing O Canada from the top of my lungs.

The following is our experiences at the Basilica.


Along with the everyday life that we are witnessing Quito is full of wonderful opportunities and views. Yesterday we went to the Basilica. It is a huge church in Quito that towers high over the area around it. Quito does not have the same security that is evident in our culture and here you can really explore a building. We were able to climb up into the clock towers a place in any European country would be totally unaccessible. This has its downfalls because one thing that is very prominent in Quito is the amount graffiti. This is not only on the streets but also in many of its prominant attractions. It is really a shame because these building are so beautiful and architecture is absolutely amazing. The view from the highest point of the church is breathtaking and very nerve racking. I had to call on some inner strength to reach the top of the Basilica. I did not realize to the extent of my fear of heights. Not only heights but stability of structure. Things like ladders do not hold well with me. At times the pathways were small and sketchy. At one point I hit a wall and really thought I could not make it to the top. There was a long wooden walkway that looked very unsettling that you had to cross in order to reach the tops of one of the towers. I have always been uneasy in these situations and I was able to make about half way using sheer mind of matter but there was a point in which this was no longer working. I now halfway across and did not want to be there at that moment. I really relied on the group to get across that plank.



If I was alone there was no way I would have been able to make it to the top and because of them I was able to witness a view this.




Today we are going to one of the principal's houses for dinner. We were invited to have a traditional fish dish similar to the one we had on Friday. It is an amazon river fish cooked in a large jungle leaf. The difference is that on Friday the fish was cooked in an oven; today it will be cooked over a wood stove. We have been treated wonderfully and each day is offering more and more opportunities that are really making me test my boundaries. For example yesterday at lunch I had goat stew and for supper I had a appetizer that had guinea pig in it. And I have had fish for five days in a row. Something that I'm sure my mom and grandparents would find extremely shocking. The food here is amazing simply due to the freshness of everything. When visiting the schools we were offered a bun with cheese and the cheese was so delicious. I asked the Carlos (a local is becoming an integral part of our group, he is friends with people who organized this opportunity) what type of cheese it was because it was so good. He looked at me like I was insane, he said "you think that's good cheese. You can buy the cheese anywhere, that cheese in not special." As a group we were shocked because we all thought this cheese was the greatest thing ever but it's just due to the way food is made here. It is rare you find something processed and like I said before everything is so fresh.

But tomorrow we start in the schools and blogging will be slowed down due to our responsibilities to the program and our evenings are going to pretty filled preparing lessons plans and things like that. Look back towards the end of the week for my next post. Our plans for next weekend are to go to the markets so I have to start practicing my bartering skills.

Until then happy shoveling and don't put that shovel in storage too quickly

I had to put that in

C Ya

1 comment:

  1. Hi Justin!
    I think your mom was able to straighten things out for me with your blog.She put me on her face book and I saw all 183 pics you put on. Thanks for the special picture in your e-mail and the little fish story you shared with us. By the way you have some great shots. Talk to you again soon.
    Grandpa
    P.S.Last night it was -5.5C with blowing snow. But the shovel is put away and stays in the shed!!!

    ReplyDelete